Tuesday 15 July 2014

SEME BORDER AND IT'S HASSLES

The border is generally known as a place defining the boundaries of nations. It is a place where mouvement of individuals are checked and monitor based on the immigration law.Seme border which is the boundary between Nigeria and Benin Republic, do not in anyway fall under this criteria. It's rather a mafia zone, where individuals right and the free movement of person and goods are violated on a daily basis, the ECOWAS law don't matter, you are ask to pay from 500-1000 Naira at both the Benin and Nigeria side. The amazing issue here is that you are to pay Naira in a country that uses Franc CFA,that is the Benin side. The harassment is just unbelievable, the discrimination and extortion is their MOTTO.
What really upset me happen last week, I was traveling with my car matriculated with Benin number and having all papers required to cross the border. Despite that I was still ask by the Benin officers to pay 500 Naira for an illegal registration. When I ask them why I should pay the amount ask when my car is having all the papers, the response was that, I am not the only one paying for that. I then ask to see the commissaire but unfortunately I was told that he went to Cotonou.
Truth be told, the commissaire voluntarily absent himself because he is aware of the illegal activities of his officers and at the end the money definitely goes back to him. I thought I was done with the non sense until to my surprise the officer at the Benin passport stamp office also ask me to pay 1000 Naira for the short stay visas. Again I ask to see an ECOWAS statutory law that state that 1000 Naira should be paid to Benin officers for a short stay and of course no response was given to me.
I actually wonder why the government is keeping silent to the complain of the people they promise to protect? How can someone that the people elected in an office now decides to use the government machinery to intimidate and frustrated the people effort? AFRICA WAKE UP, LET US BUILD A BETTER TOMORROW, REGIONAL INTEGRATION SHOULD BE VISIBLE AND APPLICABLE.www.nanaarnold.com

3 comments:

  1. FOR ALL OF YOU FRUSTRATED BY THE INJUSTICE AND VIOLATION OF THE FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT AND GOODS AT SEME BORDER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are right,in addition to the post,they no longer accept passport from people,especially the student and the rate at which the custom officers seize people's property is quite uncalled for, a student brought a laptop to school and claimed that her father seized it from someone,thats very inappropriate...and all this must stop.

    ReplyDelete